Email Account -vs- Alias Account
What’s the difference?
- Email Account
- An Email Account (or Mailbox) has two qualities it is the place where messages are stored (has storage) and is an address for messages on the internet. If you send and receive email messages you have an Email Account on the server.
- Aliases Address
- An Alias Address looks like a “real” Email Account but it acts differently. Alias accounts only have one quality the address, there is no storage assigned to an alias address messages are immediately directed to the mailboxes of those assigned to the alias. An Alias address is typically used for non-personal addresses such as departments or functions, (e.g. info@, orders@, accounting@, etc.).
|An Email Account:||An Alias Address|
Email Accounts are typically used when you want the sender or recipient to communicate with a person. Aliases are useful when you want the sender’s message to be routed to one or more recipients without requiring the sender to know each recipient’s email address and for purpose driving email addresses (e.g. sales@, accounting@, info@, etc).
Hopefully this clarifies the differences between Email and Alias accounts. If you have specific questions please feel free to call or email us, we are happy to provide additional support.
Tips & Tricks
- We recommend every user have their own Email Address by name. Common formats for name emails are firstname@, first.lastname@, or flastname@. Consider how many people might have the same name in your organization when developing a scheme.
- Use Alias Addresses to direct messages to groups, functions, or multiple recipients. For example John Doe might be a member of one or more groups (Aliases) such as firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Use Alias Addresses to support secondary addressing. For example email@example.com might have an alias setup as firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, and/or firstname.lastname@example.org, etc.
Have a Tip & Trick or a question please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.