Why can't I get on the website?If you are going to a website and seeing something that looks like this:
Click to view full size.
You have a few options!
- First, make sure the site has an SSL option, try the website again using "HTTP://" instead of "HTTPS://". Some websites do not have secured page options, because they don't require it.
- Install and use a modern internet browser such as Firefox or Google Chrome, see outdatedbrowser.com to get started.
- Internet Explorer version 8 or higher - you can update the browser to use newer security protocols, read on...
Security updates to website servers require that you use a modern browser to access secured web pages. A secure page or area is identified by the use of "https://" instead of "http://" also most browser show a lock or similar symbol to identify you are on a secure page.
How to Update Internet Explorer Security SettingsNote: Update settings only applies to Internet Explorer version 8, 9 and 10.
- Open Internet Explorer and go to the website
- Open Internet Options under the Tools Menu.
- Go to the Advanced tab
- Scroll all the way to the bottom and go up to "Use TLS 1.1"
- Check Use TLS 1.1 and Use TLS 1.2
- Click OK
- Refresh the page